A Protein Rich Vegetarian Meal
B.Sc. Grad. Dip. Nut. Diet. Cert. Sports. Nut. A.P.D.
A protein-rich vegetarian meal, this recipe will help promote muscle repair after a training session and can be easily doubled for lunch the next day.
For those with high energy needs, and a serve of brown rice for extra carbohydrates.
“Make your life a masterpiece; imagine no limitations on what you can be, have or do.”
1kg broccoli (2 heads), cut into florets
120ml extra virgin olive oil
80g salted capers, rinsed and drained
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
500g cooked chickpeas, (2 tins, drained and rinsed)
1 cup baby spinach
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 cup parsley, finely chopped
2/3 cup mint leaves
80g parmesan shaved
50g flaked almonds, toasted
- Place the broccoli florets in a perforated steam tray and steam at 100°C for 1 minute.
- Pre-heat a griddle pan on high heat, Induction setting 8, until the pan is smoking hot.
- Remove the broccoli from the steam oven, quickly toss in half of the olive oil and place on the griddle pan, in batches, until you have nice char marks on the broccoli. Keep aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining oil into a small saucepan, with the capers, garlic and chilli. Cook on medium heat, Induction setting 5, until the garlic starts to just turn slightly golden.
- Remove from the heat immediately and pour directly over the broccoli.
- Add the chickpeas, spinach, lemon zest, salt and pepper and mix well.
“The expert in everything was once a beginner.”
Want new articles before they get published?
Subscribe to our Awesome Newsletter.